Saturday, January 30, 2010

Afternoon Church

So starting in January we started having church services from 1pm-4pm. I've had the struggle most moms have, which is "What do we do all morning long that enables us to still keep the Sabbath Day holy?" I've decided to do something my mom did with us. I've made a Sunday Idea jar. Basically you put a bunch of Sunday appropriate ideas in a jar and let your kids pick one, and then you do it. I realize I'll probably have to add more ideas and adapt the ideas as my kids get older, but for now hopefully it will make Sundays a little easier. Here are the ideas I came up with:


Watch a church video

Listen to a scripture story on friend.lds.org

Do a game on friend.lds.org

Write a letter or color a picture for a family member

Color a gospel-themed coloring page

Write a thank you card to your primary teacher.

Write a thank you card to your Bishop.

Read the Friend together.

Walk outside and enjoy Jesus' creations.

Draw a picture of things you're grateful for.

Read 3 books.

Read scripture stories with mom.

Work on memorizing a new scripture.

Work on memorizing an Article of Faith.

Sing Primary songs with mom.

Call a family member.

Quietly sit and listen to hymns or other church music.

Play a board game or card game.

So does anyone have other ideas that would work for a 5 year old and a 2 year old?

3 comments:

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

Wow you have a way good list!! You could always make a treat together that they could look forward to eating after church.

Janna Bell said...

Laynee loves baking together. I'll add that to my jar. Thanks for the idea.

Marcie said...

What a good Mommy and idea! I've heard of people having a dress up box with outfits that could work with the scriptures. They then act out a story they read, know, or you have written down. Kind of a big project to put together but it would be a great memory. Hope all is well.


April 2009